Open Public Consultations
Flexibility Consultation 2020
The Open Networks Flexibility Services Workstream (WS1A) has been driving the standardisation and alignment of local markets for flexibility services that will help Britain decarbonise and reach net zero. This consultation seeks feedback from across the entire indsutry on all of the flexibility development work undertaken by Workstream 1A.
The consultation document provides context to the consultation and asks specific questions on the products that are being consulted on. As with all consultations, we welcome and appreciate responses in any format and length, even if you can't address all the questions, or want to send us a full written response or bullet points.
This consultation closes on 25th September 2020. Please send in consultation responses to [email protected]
Note: all consultation responses will be made public unless marked as confidential.
To support the consultation and give you a chance to find out more and ask questions to the project team, we are hosting two webinars.
- Flexibility Webinar: 26 August, 14:00 - 15:00, register to attend
- Flexibility Webinar: 9 September, 14:00 - 15:00, register to attend
Find out more
Further information on the specific products that are being consulted on can be found below.
- Common Evaluation Methodology and Tool: clean version and populated example – 2020 Product 1
- Procurement Processes – 2020 Product 2
- Active Power Services Parameters: Definitions & Implementation Plan – 2020 Product 3
- Market Facilitation – Non DSO Services – 2020 Product 6
- Baselining Methodology: Scope and Consultants ITT – 2020 Product 7
- The Interactions between Flexible Connections (ANM) and Flexibility Services – 2019 Product 5
- DNO Flexibility Services Revenue Stacking – 2019 Product 5
Subscribe to our mailing list to keep up to date with the latest news, events, and updates from the Open Networks Project.
Closed Public Consultations
The purpose of the 2020 Queue Management consultation was to seek comments from stakeholders on the drafting of the User Guide which is based on the conclusions of consultations to date and our ‘minded to’ policy standard to be applied across all GB network companies. It intended to seek comments where these principles have not been accurately reflected in the drafting of the processes set out in the User Guide, and that the outcome of this consultation will be used to update the User Guide in Q4 of 2020 when it will be published as a baseline guide. Please find the consultation document and current User Guide below.
This consultation closed on 24th June 2020
To support the Open Networks consultation on Queue Management, the project team held a webinar to run through the consultation in detail and provide a chance to ask any questions before responses are submitted.
All responses will be made public unless requested to be kept confidential.
2020 Work Plan Consultation
The 2020 Work Plan consultation is a key opportunity for stakeholders from across the industry to consider the full scope and direction of the project this year, and provide feedback on priorities and timelines. This consultation closed on 17th March 2020.
Open Networks Project Response:
To support the work plan consultation and provide stakeholders with an opportunity to find out more and ask any questions directly to an Open Networks Project reprentative, we ran two public webinars. A recording of the webinar can be found below.
The consolodated slide deck for both webinars is available here.
Application Interactivity and Connection Queue Management
This consultation describes a ‘minded to’ position to move to a ‘conditional’ interactivity process, similar to that currently used by UKPN, but modified to improve how unsuccessful customers are treated. This common process will be used by all Transmission and Distribution Network Operators, all of whom will need to change existing interactivity processes. This consultation also sets out a policy framework to be adopted across transmission and distribution networks, enabling network companies to intervene in the connection queue to free up capacity where customers have delayed against agreed milestones. This consultation closed on 25th September 2019.
Consultation Document & Deliverables
Open Networks Response
The purpose of this consultation was to seek views from stakeholders on our flexibility commitments, developments to date and planned future developments under Workstream 1A (Flexibility Services) in order for us to update and adapt our work accordingly. This consultation closed on 23rd August 2019.
Consutlation Document & Deliverables
- Flexibility Market Principles - Product 1
- DER Services Procurement Review - Product 2
- DSO Services Commercial Agreements - Product 4
Open Networks Response
Future Worlds: Impact Assessment Consultation
For more information about the consultation, including a full list of responses received, please visit our Future Worlds: Impact Assessment Consultation page.
Following our successful delivery in 2017 and 2018, we scoped and planned our development work for 2019, as set out in the Phase 3 2019 Project Initiation Document (PID), which we invited responses to in this consultation. The consultation closed on 22nd February 2019.
Consultation document: Consultation document on Phase 3 Work Programme
Close date: 22nd February 2019
Consultation Responses Received
Stakeholder feedback to the 2019 Workplan Consultation can be downloaded here.
Open Networks Response
The Open Networks Project team also hosted a webinar on the 13th of February 2019 to provide any further clarification on the consultation.
Interactivity and Queue Management: Workstream 2 Product 5
Close date: 4th February 2019 (12:00pm)
Consultation Responses Received
All stakeholder responses can be downloaded here.
Open Networks Summary of Feedback and Next Steps
We have analysed the stakehoder responses and have picked out key feedback and actions to progress our work on Queue Management (2019 WS2 P2) and Interactivity (2019 WS2 P3)
The Open Networks Project team also hosted a webinar on the 10th of January 2019 to provide any further clarification on the consultation.
If you would like to submit a response to the consultation, please send us your response to [email protected].
Future Worlds Consultation: Workstream 3 Product 5
Call for Evidence/Consultation: Workstream 1 Product 10
The Open Networks team launched the Call for Evidence for Workstream 1 Product 10 to gather views and feedback that will help shape Open Networks work in this area. More information, including responses, will be made available once reviewed, along with the Open Networks final response to the consultation.
To view the call for evidence/consultation, click here.
If you would like to view our response to the webinar, please click on the following link: Webinar response.
Consultation: 2018 Workplan
The Open Networks project sought stakeholder views on the work that had been scoped and planned for development in 2018:
Consultation document: Consultation document on Phase 2 Work Programme
Subsidiary documents: Phase 2 Project Initiation Document
Close date: 23rd February 2018
Consultation responses received -
|JRC||Noveus||Open Utility||Scottish Power||Scottish Renewables||Smartest Energy|
Open Networks response -
A response to the comments received at the webinar can be viewed here.
The Open Networks project sought stakeholder views on the Commercial Principles for Contracted Flexibility: Promoting Access to Markets for Distributed Energy Resources paper which was delivered under 2017 Workstream 1 Product 4:
Consultation document: Commercial Principles for Contracted Flexibility
Close date: 29th September 2017
Planned 2018 Consultations
Although the 2018 Workplan consultation has closed (please see below for more information), we have several other consultations planned for this year. By holding these consultations, we hope to gather and collate feedback, ideas and criticisms regarding our 2018 products in order to assist with their futher development.
Please find both the 2018 timeline and short desciption of what will be addressed in each consultation below:
WS1: Product 10
- Current good practice document for flexibility connections. This will consult on a report capturing current DNO approaches and good practice to flexibility queue management.
WS3: Product 5
- We will consult on the definition of the 5 DSO market models developed in Workstream 3, as well as the key enablers for DSO and the methodology and key criteria on which we intend to base cost benefit assessment.
WS2: Product 2
- Position paper for capacity recycling, identifying and reviewing options for managing and planning capacity that may be contracted for but may not be being used by customers. Options and principles would be laid out in a position paper and recommendations would be provided to Ofgem & BEIS. This is likely to be linked to Ofgem’s review of Network Access and Forward Looking Charges.
WS2: Product 5
- Improve customer information and improve network operator processes in the post-application phase including queue management. This will include publishing good practice on:
- how interactive applications are handled;
- approaches to queue management where connection capacity is limited; and
- improving the general queue management and interactivity process information made available to customers.
WS1: Product 1
- Investment Processes; Whole system investment models; and proposed extension to NOA framework to include DER solutions. We will develop whole system investment processes beginning with a Regional Network Options Assessment (NOA) process and then extending this to developing processes for the inclusion of DER based solutions to provide network capacity. We will consult on requirements for information and models to enable implementation of the whole system regional NOA approach.
Should you have any questions or require any additional information regarding these consultations, please contact us at [email protected].