Children’s hard hitting film warns their peers about the danger of Carbon Monoxide poisoning

For immediate release – Tuesday 5 February 2013 

On Friday 1 February, the Dominic Rodgers Trust, Kirklees Carbon Monoxide Action Group and pupils from Netherhall Learning Campus met with members of the Gas Industry Safety Group (GISG) in London to show their recently produced carbon monoxide awareness DVD, which was funded by GISG and Scotia Gas Networks.

The DVD is a hard hitting and emotional film aimed at school children and students leaving home for the first time. It was written, produced and starred the children themselves, as part of their coursework, using Netherhall Learning Campus’ new facilities. Copies of the DVD will now be distributed to schools, colleges and universities across the UK.

The GISG Board were so impressed by the film that they donated £1,000 to the school’s media department to support their work and gave the children involved £100 each.

Chris Bielby, Chair of GISG said:

“The DVD is a powerful reminder of the dangers of carbon monoxide. Everyone who watched it was stunned into silence and I hope that it will raise awareness amongst young people and others who see it. I was impressed with the standard of the acting and production and think that the children did a great job. Though the statistics show a downward trend for deaths from carbon monoxide, with deaths from natural gas at an all time low, we must not be complacent and it is important that initiatives like this help raise awareness of other sources such as barbeques and solid fuels.”

Carbon monoxide, known as the silent killer is produced by incomplete combustion and Department of Health figures suggest that it causes as many as 40 deaths each year, with many more people suffering from exposure at lower levels. 


Notes to editor

Netherhall Learning Campus

The Dominic Rodgers Trust has been raising awareness of the dangers of carbon monoxide since 2004 and has been a registered charity since 2009. Stacey Rodgers set up the Trust after her 10-year-old son Dominic died of carbon monoxide poisoning from a neighbours flue and faulty boiler

The Gas Industry Safety Group - GISG - brings the principal organisations in the UK industry together to promote gas safety.

For more information please contact:

Adrian McConnell, 020 7706 5155, [email protected]