- DO open doors and windows to ventilate the property
- DO turn off the gas at the mains tap. This can usually be located near the gas meter and has a handle that can be turned 90 degrees. If the gas leak is in a cellar or basement, do not enter and instead evacuate the building
- DO call the national gas emergency number
If you suspect you have a gas leak or you smell gas, it is important that you don’t do any of the following as these could place you in further danger:
- DON’T turn any power or light switches on or off
- DON’T light any sort of flame within the property
- DON’T use any appliances that could cause a spark
Sometimes a gas leak can lead to you feeling physical symptoms such as dizziness, fatigue, nausea and headaches. These symptoms should ease when you leave the property, however you should visit your GP as a precaution if you’ve been exposed to a gas leak.
If a gas main pipe is dug up or breached, contractors should call the emergency helpline number.
You should call 999 if:
- Someone is in immediate danger
- Someone needs immediate emergency medical care
- A crime is taking place or about to happen