Gas Network Innovation Strategy
The first version of the joint Gas Network Innovation Strategy was published in March 2018.
It is designed to identify the most important challenges and opportunities facing the GB gas transmission and distribution networks in improving our efficiency and supporting the UK’s commitment to decarbonise its energy system, which innovative projects can help to address.
- Read our 'at a glance' summary of the Gas Network Innovation Strategy here
- Download the full Gas Network Innovation Strategy here
In the Strategy, we have
- Set out the role that our existing gas infrastructure can play in meeting demand for power, heat and transport now and in the future.
- Divided the challenges we face into seven themes.
- Agreed strategic aims which set out the areas in which we are particularly keen to make progress over the coming two years.
The Gas Network Innovation Strategy provides an opportunity for the wider industry to get involved and help to shape the future of gas and networks in the UK. We have worked closely with the GB electricity networks, and partners around the industry, to identify opportunities for collaborative projects in future. By working together, we can drive innovation that will benefit consumers. The best way to do this is to co-ordinate our activities as networks, share our learning and avoid duplication.
In developing the Strategy, we ran an open consultation process in autumn 2017. The views and opinions of a wide range of industry partners have helped us to develop a Strategy that is led by the needs of industry and consumers, and reflects the wider context for network innovation. You can read a summary of the consultation process and the responses we received here.
If you have an idea for a network innovation project which will help us deliver our strategy, you can submit it to the networks via http://www.nicollaborationportal.org/
For more information about the Strategy and gas innovation, please contact Matt Hindle, Head of Gas, via [email protected].